SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE
Latest Stories

Wildflower | By Drew Barrymore


Birds Of Paradise
And I wonder to this day if those birds-of-paradise ever grew their heads back. The ghosts of them bloom fresh in my memory all the time. They, like all of us in this neighborhood, were wild. Let us be like them and defy tradition, and yet create our own tradition at the same time. Let us all be wildflowers!

Joshua Tree
I walked through the dirt to my little room and lay down for a while. And just as I was falling asleep, my door slowly swung open on its own. And a ray of sun came pouring in."Dad?" I said out loud as I felt a field of energy pass through the room. I sat up in bed for a while, silent, until I felt like I could get up and respectfully shut the door. I got back in bed. Was it him? It could have been him. Why not? There are no rules. 

My Beautiful Laundrette
I ran back to my place and started circling apartments for rent in the paper. Listening to the cats fighting in the alley, I looked out my window and waited, as I did each morning, for the sun to come up and to tell me that everything was going to be OK. And it was. I wasn't scared anymore. I was ready! And even though it was only laundry, it taught me how to tackle everything moving forward. You fall in love and try to conquer by way of mastering it. 

Flying High
Girls want to do what boys do without losing the idea that they want love at the end of the day! They also love each other as women and they are stronger together. They want to kick ass and have fun.

Post Pardon Me
But at the end of the episode, the kids say, "Yes, but why are there still no pictures of Maggie in this photo album?" And Homer says it's because he keeps her pictures where he needs them the most, and it cuts back to his office, and they are all taped up in front of him on the plaque for inspiration. But the way he has taped all the pictures of Maggie on the plaque, it has covered some of the words, and it now reads, "DO IT FOR HER," and that is what he now sees every day.  Do it for her. That is it. You show that you love them endlessly. You devote yourself. You sacrifice. You parent also by example. The way you live and the things you achieve and the way you behave will be more evident than trying to convince them of anything. I am a stay-at-home mom some days and a working mom on others. But I am always first and foremost a mom. 
I didn't know much about Drew Barrymore, except the fact that I watched Charlie's Angels when I was a teenager and saw her in that movie. I love this book because this feels personal. She is so relatable in so many ways but at the same time, her life journey is a one-of-a-kind. She was a rebel, but she also worked her way up from such a young age. She got a famous last name, but she earned her success. She's a friend, a daughter, a wife, a mother - she stays at home, but she works too. This book is light and fun to read, the kind of book that you can pick up anytime, anywhere.

It really resonates with me in the chapter where she talks about how learning to do her laundry might save her life. She was 14 when she was declared as an adult in the eyes of the law, and separated with her mother. She got her first apartment and lived on her own for the first time. She learned being an adult is not as easy as one two and three, and it comes with responsibility - one of them is doing your own laundry. Which she had no idea at first how to do it. 

I smiled when I read this part because I remember how I used to really hate it when my mom made me do all the house chore since I was in the 3rd grade. I moved out from my parents' house when I was 18, and I couldn't thank my mom enough for all those nagging to wash the dishes clean and lined them up in the dryer tidily, or how to iron my uniform properly. Her lessons and wisdom save me. All the time.

No comments

Post a Comment

you can love or hate. but with respect.

© Of Ashes & Bones • Theme by Maira G.